We know what you’re thinking. Brussels sprouts salad? Trust us – these aren’t the sprouts your grandmother used to boil! There’s even a little bacon to top it off. Don’t be scared by the number of ingredients here. About half are for the dressing and you’ve probably got them in your cupboard already.
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 large red onion, cut into large quarters
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon grainy mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups Brussels sprouts, trimmed and sliced in half
- 4 carrots or parsnips, peeled and sliced into 2-inch pieces
- 2 sweet potatoes, cut into small cubes
- 2 medium apples, thinly sliced
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Reserve the bacon drippings for cooking the veggies then transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Coarsely crumble and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the bacon drippings, brussels sprouts, carrots, sweet potatoes, vinegar, honey, mustard, salt, and pepper.
- Transfer the veggies to a sheet pan lined with foil. Bake for 30-35 minutes until everything is caramelized and cooked through. Remove from the oven and fold the hot veggies with the apples and chicken.
- Divide salad between 4 bowls then top with the crumbled bacon.