This bowl is a take on the classic California roll, just without the salmon…and the roll! Don’t want this to be a veggie meal? Just add some chicken or shrimp. And apart from the rice, this is pretty much a no-cook meal. Cut, assemble, enjoy.
- 2 cups brown short-grain rice, rinsed well OR pre-cooked leftover rice
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 ½ tsp reduced-sodium soy sauce or liquid aminos
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 sheet dried nori
- 1 cup frozen and defrosted shelled edamame, preferably organic
- 2 large carrots, sliced into ribbons with a vegetable peeler
- 1 cup cucumber, cut into ribbons with a vegetable peeler
- 1 avocado, sliced into 4 quarters
- 2 tsp black or white sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp pickled ginger, if desired
- ⅓ cup avocado mayo
- 2 tbsp sriracha or chili-garlic sauce, to taste
To cook the rice:
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Once the water is boiling, pour in the rinsed rice and give it a stir.
- Boil the rice for 30 minutes, then turn off the heat and drain.
- Return the rice to the pot and cover the pot. Let the rice steam for 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid and fluff the rice with a fork. If using leftover rice, skip this step.
- Once the rice is cooked, add in the rice seasonings.
To prepare the spicy mayo sauce:
- Whisk together the mayonnaise and sriracha in a small bowl until well blended. Add more sriracha if you’d like a spicier sauce.
Bring it all together:
- Divide the rice between four bowls.
- Crumble over the nori, then top with edamame, carrots ribbons, cucumber ribbons, avocado, sesame seeds and pickled ginger if using.
- Drizzle chili-mayo sauce on top and top with desired protein. Enjoy!